1. Basic Principle Relating to Privacy
The Bank of Japan collects information regarding users of its web site (hereafter "the site") to the extent the Bank deems it necessary to efficiently provide such users with the services on the site. The Bank uses the information collected through the site solely for the purpose of providing the services requested by the user.
2. Scope of Information Collected by the Bank through the Site
- (1) The Bank automatically collects a user's Internet domain name, Internet Protocol (IP) address, in-site information retrieval query records, and other related information when the user visits the site. Cookies (small text files containing information that are transmitted from a server to a user's browser and stored on the user's computer in order for the server to identify the user) used by the Bank are for the purpose of improving the usability of the site and do not contain any personal information on users. Users may also set their browsers to block cookies at any time.
- (2) The Bank may request a user to submit his/her name, address, telephone number, and other information when soliciting public comments or opinions on individual projects, or in connection with questionnaires. When comments or other messages are sent by a user to the Bank via E-mail, the Bank will obtain access to the user's E-mail address.
- (3) When a user sends an inquiry to the Bank via E-mail, the Bank will obtain access to the user's E-mail address.
- (4) When using the "E-mail Service," the user will be requested to register his/her E-mail address with the Bank.
- (5) When a user requests materials in the "Employment and Personnel Interchange" section using a request form, the user will be requested by the Bank to register his/her name, address, and other information.
3. Purpose of Use of Information
- (1) The Bank uses the information collected through the site described in Item 2. (1) above, as reference for the efficient operation of the site and in order to provide the services offered therein.
- (2) The Bank uses the comments or suggestions provided by users of the site described in Item 2.(2) above in connection with the policy planning conducted by the Bank. For this purpose, the Bank may utilize such information internally or make public disclosures of the same on the condition that all references to the names of specific individuals are withheld (other than in cases where the site indicates in advance that an individual's name may be disclosed or the Bank has obtained prior consent from the concerned individuals for such disclosure). The Bank may also use E-mail addresses or telephone numbers in order to respond to and confirm inquiries.
- (3) The Bank may route the inquiries received from users of the site described in Item 2. (3) above to the appropriate sections of the Bank when necessary. The Bank may also quote from inquiries in preparing the "Question and Answer" section of the site or in connection with other explanatory materials. The Bank may use a user's name, address, telephone number, and/or E-mail address to respond to inquiries.
- (4) The Bank uses the E-mail addresses collected through the "E-mail Service" described in Item 2.(4) above for the dissemination of information regarding its services. The information provided on a voluntary basis will be used for reference to improve the design of the site.
- (5) The Bank uses the names, addresses, and other information collected through the site as described in Item 2.(5) above in order to provide users with the materials requested by them and in connection with the employment activities of the Bank.
4. Restrictions on the Use and Provision of Information
The Bank will not use the information collected through the site for any purpose other than the purposes described in Item 3 above, and the Bank will not provide such information to any third party unless required by applicable law, or the Bank is subject to unauthorized access, threats, or other illegal actions, or the Bank has any other specific reason to do so.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, however, the Bank may publicly disclose statistically processed information relating to access to the site, suggestions or comments received by the Bank through the site, or information on users' attributes.
5. Security Measures Relating to the Site
The Bank will take all reasonably necessary measures to prevent leakage or loss of the information collected through the site and to appropriately manage such information.
The Bank may outsource the operation of the site, in which case the Bank will direct its contractors to take necessary measures for the appropriate management of such information.
6. Disclosure of Personal Information
In accordance with the Act on the Protection of Personal Information Held by Independent Administrative Agencies, etc. (Act No. 59, 2003), site users may request the Bank to disclose which personal information it holds on them.
Users of the "E-mail Service" may also request the Bank to modify or delete any of the information registered through that system.
Web Site Management Group
2-1-1 Nihonbashi-hongoku-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-8660, Japan
Mailing address: P.O. Box 30, Nihonbashi, Tokyo 103-8660, Japan
Tel: +81-3-3279-1111 (operator)